Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Chocolate Pecan Tarts


Chocolate Pecan Tarts


Mr. Hungry asked for these.  He's got a sweet tooth like no one I have EVER seen.  Candy, chocolate - anything sweet doesn't stand a chance in our house unless it's hidden well.

He's still not found the Purdy's Chocolate Santa I have hidden for a rainy day.  Ha ha!

I love pecans.  I'm sure they can now be considered my favorite nut.  Probably because they are one of the few left that don't make my throat itch and my ears burn.  Dang nuts anyways.....








The ingredients, plus vanilla who was camera shy!






Chocolate Pecan Tarts
Makes 24

2 1/4 cups brown sugar
6 tbsp butter
3 tsp vanilla (I float between the artificial and the real depending on the recipe and desired outcome)
1 1/2 cups pecans (I use whole or halved - either will work)
1 cup milk chocolate chips
3 eggs, beaten

24 small, pre-made tart shells

Aside:  Sorry Mom.  I can not, I will not, I shall not ever make pastry.  I can't.  And I've tried so many times.  You say it's easy.  It's not.  It's painfully hard and I can't keep wasting my stock of butter & flour time and time again for it all to end up in the garbage.

Preheat oven to 350F.





 
Mix these all together, with the vanilla






Melt butter in a large, glass mixing cup.  To the butter, add brown sugar, eggs and vanilla and mix well.  Set aside.




See my old, beat up sheet??  I LOVE it.







Lay tart shells on a large cookie sheet.  For easier cleaning, use parchment paper (I have a really old and beaten up sheet just for this reason, and the mess doesn't scar me or flirt with my OCD at all.




Ahh - the nice sugary mess is all coming together!





Put a layer of chocolate chips into tart shells, and fill nearly to the top with pecans.





Looks yummy already!





Pour (see, there's a reason I did this all in a big glass measuring cup) sugar mixture into shells to cover chocolate and pecans.  Leave some space at the top of the tart shells as the mixture will bubble up (and over) if too full.

Put sheet and tarts into oven. 


See how great these look!


Bake until the edges of the tart shells are nicely browned.  This time will vary depending on how many tarts you are doing at one time.  20-30 minutes works well for 24 tarts.

  






Bliss in 3 bites!




Remove from oven, and let cool slightly before moving tarts to a cooling rack or a platter.  And please, let them cool before eating.  Hot sugar can burn!!


Serve on their own, with icecream or with whipping cream.

Store in an airtight container as long as they will last (3 days in our house if Mr. Hungry can last that long) or vacuum pack and freeze for up to 3 months. 

Oh, and enjoy!

--The Cook

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya on the pastry! I tried once and it tasted good but it just was not worth the extra effort. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I am not alone! I swear I will try again, one day. But not for a long, long time!

    ReplyDelete