Friday, March 11, 2011

Spaghetti Night

So I wanted to make spaghetti.  Lots of spaghetti.  Enough spaghetti to feed the whole neighbourhood AND more!

Isn't that a good looking pot of spaghetti?
OK (let's be honest here), I wanted to make spaghetti to feed us, some friends and (because we're a working family) some to put in the freezer for a quick meal.  I usually make things like this in huge bunches, because coming home and heating something yummy is far better than hot dogs and grilled cheese - although the kids never complain when it's hot dogs and grilled cheese.  But then, some days neither do the adults!

So, prepare to witness the biggest pot of spaghetti EVER.  Massive.  And honestly, I'd have made more if I had a bigger pot.  *Note to anyone interested in what to get me for -insert holiday here-, I want a pot.  A big, huge, like-grandma-used-to-use pot.




Spaghetti and Meat Sauce
Makes: A lot.  A whole lot.

2 medium onions
2 small red peppers
3 large green peppers
2 fresh tomatoes
3 lbs ground beef
1-280 ml can of tomato sauce
3-769 ml cans of diced tomatoes
2-156 ml cans of tomato paste
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp chili flakes
1 tsp sage
2 tsp thyme
3 tbsp parsley
2 tbsp Italian Seasoning
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp basil
salt & pepper to taste
1/3 c red wine
2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tbsp aged Balsamic Vinegar














Onions always make me cry!


Start by washing all your peppers and tomatoes, and then dice them all.  I tend to keep the dice pretty small because although I like a 'chunky' sauce, I like the tomatoes and the meat to make it chunky - not the onions and peppers.







Begin warming 2 frying pans (I use stainless, not non-stick) over medium to medium-high heat.  If you have 2, do one for the beef and one for the vegetables.  If using one, do your veggies first and add the beef when they are nice and soft.  It will not change the flavour to use 1 vs 2 - just makes for  more usable cooking surfaces because I'm doing a large batch of sauce.



When the pans are hot, add some vegetable oil and toss in your vegetables!  Cook until soft, stirring often enough so they don't burn. 

See how nice and soft they are!








If using 2 pans, start your beef when you start your vegetables and cook until browned and no  pink remains.  If using one pan, add the beef when the veggies are soft, and cook until browned and no pink remains.


Ahh - garlic.  Sweet, sweet garlic!
Next, grab yourself a pot.  A BIG pot.  I mean a h-uge pot.  You're making a boat-load of spaghetti here people, unless you are skilled enough to scale the recipe down, in which case I am jealous.  Once you have that big pot, put your beef and vegetables in and add the chopped garlic and heat it over medium heat.

Let your beef, vegetables and garlic sweat away for a while - about 5-10 minutes until it's well blended.

Now is also a good time to add your spices, wine, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and mix well.  Then, add the fresh tomatoes, canned tomatoes, sauce and paste in that big old pot and mix it up well and simmer over medium-low for as long as possible.  Like - hours and hours.  I think I started mine around 2pm for dinner at 6pm.  See - hours!!


A meal fit for an Army!

This is a great recipe for feeding loads of people, freezing and for left-overs.  Because left-overs get BETTER and BETTER!!

Serve with your favorite pasta (we usually us just plain old spaghetti noodles) and garnish with some fresh parmesan cheese. 





My advice - have a nice glass of wine with your fabulous spaghetti and meat sauce!!  Feed yourself, feed your friends or feed an Army!


Oh, and enjoy!


--The Cook

3 comments:

  1. Why do you recommend S Steel pans verse non stick, does it change the flavour?

    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a few reasons I choose SS vs NS.

    First, I do a lot of cooking over a higher heat, and a SS pan will stand up to this better than a NS. The debate is still brewing over toxins from the NS pans being heated to high temperatures, but that doesn't cloud my judgement.

    Second, I tend to cook with oils more, and putting oil into a NS pan seems to go against the reason for using a NS pan. Certainly if you're looking to cut back on fat intake, use the NS pans!

    Third, I like to get a good sear on meats, and you just can't compare with a good sear from a SS pan. And if you're going to make a sauce from the left-overs in the pan a SS one will do this 10X better. I do sometimes have problems with meats sticking, but being patient in letting the food cook before turning helps. I tend to be a bit impatient sometimes.

    And finally - I have found that NS pans just don't seem to last as long as SS. Just my opinion and I have tried cheap vs pricey NS pans and they all seem to have the same result....work well for a while and then they stop working as well and I've found bits of black NS coating in my foods. Yuck! I have 2 really good SS pans (one is from Paderno - and they have the BEST from my experience) and they've lasted forever!

    Does it change the taste? Not really. I just like what I can do with a SS pan (more varied things to use it for) over a NS pan.

    That's not to say I don't have NS pans or use them. There is a time and a place for them (I use them for eggs and pancakes, and grilled cheese for the kids all the time plus I have a really beat up one that I use for Roti which I will blog about soon) I have 2 Paderno NS pans and they've lasted a long time. Best advice though, don't use oil to cook in a NS pan. It will lessen the lifetime! Use butter. It's more natural and won't mess with the coating.

    Ultimatley, it's a Coke vs Pepsi kind of thing. Do what works for you, and enjoy what you do with it!

    --The Cook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, as always very informative. I guess I am going shopping for a SS pan this weekend, I needed to get a new pot anyway hahaha.

    J

    ReplyDelete