Sunday, November 6, 2011

Crispy Parmesan Chicken

So those that know me know I love to cook.  Not a surprise either.  Big or small, I love to cook meals for family, friends - even the odd stranger (although that doesn't happen much at all).

And, I love to watch cooking shows.  Of all sorts.  Hey, I work in cable.  The TV is always on in my office and since I HATE soap opera-ish shows....I might as well learn something from the Food Network.

And I have learned.  And been inspired to try new things.  And one of my favorite people to watch is Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa.  She's so easy to watch.  Her foods are simple enough that you don't feel like you need a degree in culinary arts AND they look great!

Chicken is a versatile dish in our house, and her recipe for Parmesan Chicken was certainly one I was temped to try.  I've tweaked it a bit, but it's still her inspiration that led me to make this dish that Mr. Hungry LOVES and I do too!


Parmesan Chicken
Makes: as many as you want!


6 boneless chicken breasts
2 eggs
1 cup flour
1 cup bread crumbs
2 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
1 Tbsp Thyme
1 lemon
Salt & Pepper










First, you are going to flatten (AKA: smash, beat, pound or pulverise) the chicken.  I usually just lay mine out on wax paper and smash them to a nice thickness using a mallet. 

Note: I use the FLAT side of mine, not the textured sides.



Next, make sure you season the chicken with a bit of salt and pepper.  I find one of the keys to making this dish GREAT is layer the flavours!










Spread the flour onto a plate, and lay the seasoned chicken in the flour, making sure you coat both sides.

In a mixing bowl, beat the milk and eggs together.  Add the chicken either one at a time, or all at once.  I do all at once.  More fun when everybody is in the pool!!

In another mixing bowl, blend the bread crumbs and spices.  I prefer to use Panko crumbs.  Just what I like so you can certainly use you own homemade crumbs, or what ever you happen to have on hand.  It will STILL taste great!



Layout your work area for the next step, as it can get a bit messy (especially your hands) and there's nothing worse than a great meal followed by a kitchen in a state of disaster.  Well, OK.  I can think of many things worse than that - but it IS nice to keep it tidy as you go.....if you can!






Take chicken out of the egg mixture and lay it into the bread crumb blend.  Press down slightly to coat all of the chicken, and both sides. 

Lay onto a plate and continue with remaining pieces.

Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.  When hot, add 4 Tbsp of vegetable oil. 


Add the chicken (we usually do 3 pieces at a time so the pan is not too crowded) and cook for about 5-7 minutes.  Chicken should be golden browned and crispy. 

Turn carefully (be wary as it is possible to pull the coating off the cooked side of the chicken, so use a tender touch) and cook the other side for about the same amount of time. 






Feel free to add more oil if the pan looks dry.  The key to the breading being nice and crisp - and the coating staying ON the chicken is to have a healthy dose (not to be confused with 'swimming' in oil) of oil in your pan.

If you are doing 2 (or more, as you'd be surprised how easy this is and it's great for a crowd) you can place these into a heated oven (about 250-300 degrees Fahrenheit) while you cook the other batches.


Guess what??  You are DONE!!

Yes, I have made these for crowds (I think the most was about 10 people) and they really do stay nice and crisp for a short time in the oven.  That's what really got me to love this recipe!!  I mean - dinner cooked when your guests arrive??  Who'd have thunk it!!  And if Ina says it is....it is!!  Easy.  Tasty.  Delicious!












So, we usually serve this with rice or potatoes.  Ina serves her with salad.  Blech.  OK - I do like salad.  But this just tastes great with scalloped potatoes or a nice rice and veggie mix.  Salad....not tonight!  But we did have greens on our plate!

Mr. Hungry loves his with a bit of lemon to squeeze over the top.  It makes him happy so I oblige!! 

I like mine without the lemon.

What will you enjoy??

--The Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment