Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Aftermath of the Bacon Explosion

So, life is about lessons.  Some are easy and some are hard.

This lesson was not particularly a HARD lesson, but a good one to share.

So if you follow my blog (or perhaps just happen upon it) you know that I love to experiment.  And the last experiment I posted about was the delicious Bacon Explosion.

It was a fun meal to prepare, made everyone drool as it cooked and pleased us all when it was time to eat!  That, was a good experiment.  What happened next was not nearly as good, slightly dangerous and (after the dust had settled) awkwardly funny!



We made the Bacon Explosion over the summer.  A warm, weekend day just begging for a culinary exploration.  I can't blog ALL our meals, so we had since used the BBQ for chicken and probably a few more meals (we do most of our cooking outdoors in the summer).

One fine day, a few weeks after the Explosion experiment, we decided that we'd invite our Nannie (not to be confused with a Nanny) up for burgers.  Flame broiled, hearty burgers.

Little did we know just HOW flame broiled they would be!!

So me, at the BBQ flipping, turning - BBQing those tasty treats is chatting with Nannie - who is ever so perfectly balanced on the couch with a nice, cold rum and coke.  Now, this paints 2 pictures. 

1.  Yes.  We have a couch in our carport.  Right next to our BBQ.

2.  Yes.  We like rum.  On occasion.  Always in moderation.  Almost always with ice.

So, as I'm flipping and rearranging the Q, Nan notices that there are some flames licking at our burgers.  She's in charge of hollering should there be flame and I have to run into the house.

Nan says to me 'I see flame' and I quietly rearrange the Q a little more, so the flames can die down and the burgers don't turn black.

Nan then says to me 'Those flames are getting pretty high' and I realize that yes, they are.

Next thing I know, the whole bottom of the BBQ is on fire.  Not just a toasty - grab your marshmallows - fire.  But a full blown, raging grease fire.

I turned the gas off to the burners.  Step back.  Watch from a distance with Nan by my side.  Then I realize that I've left my beloved rum next to the BBQ.  Bummer.





By this time, we're calling Mr. Hungry.  Who does not answer.  We call again.  No answer.  Kids call and no answer.  For neither me nor Nan is willing to leave the BBQ (who's flames are now licking the roof of the carport and emitting the blackest, most acidic smoke I've ever smelled) we send Biggie Wiggie on a hunt for Daddy.


In this time, I've gotten myself together and decided that leaving the propane tank on was probably not a great idea.  So I venture back to the BBQ and turn off the tank.  And close the lid.

Mr. Hungry arrives through a cloud of smoke (it by now has billowed into the house through the open kitchen window) and is in time to see the flames shooting out from the sides of the BBQ.  Hmm, we think....this fire is NOT going our on it's own.

So Mr. Hungry grabs the fire extinguisher (thank goodness we always have a fire extinguisher on hand - if you do not then you best run out and get one) and is set to tackle the Q.







By this time, the smoke is so thick and so dark, we've attracted the curious (and probably frightened) concerns on neighbours and people walking by the house.  I mean, it's not every day you see some one's carport spewing so much smoke it looks like a dragon has let go in a coffee cup!!

Brave Mr. Hungry tears open the extinguisher and carefully points it to the sides of the BBQ and shoots.  Lots.  Fire diminishes, but still burning like a shooting star inside!!  He pops open the lid and let's go of the WHOLE thing. 


Yay!  The fire is out!!  Strangers retreat from the house as they see that there is no need to call the Fire Department and I'm certain most are thankful they are not eating with us tonight.

So, as it was so crazy and intense I did not take photos.  Sorry.

But I did take photos of the mess after. 

I think this is a good lesson for a number of reasons, and probably something that really could have been avoided.












Lessons:

1.  Always keep a fire extinguisher on hand when cooking.
2.  Never leave a BBQ unattended even for a short time.
3.  Never use your BBQ in an enclosed space.
4.  Keep your BBQ clean.
5.  Use a drip pan in your BBQ to catch excess oils.


So, long story short - if you're going to attempt a Bacon Explosion, for the love of Pete, make sure you put a drip pan of some kinds UNDER the bombs.  Bacon has an insane amount of fat that melts off during the cooking process, and I'm not surprised that we had a fire.  I'm not surprised at all.

What I am is surprised I never thought of this before, as we traditionally keep our BBQ cleaned.  Shame, really.  Such a fun event could have been so damaging.

So, lesson learned.  Experiment tweaked.

And yes, I see the irony in our beloved BBQ being names Bernice (AKA Bernie).  My brother and Mr. Hungry named it that when she was put together.

She has a new name now. Burny.

I promise, the next experiment will be more thought our and less likely to cause a fire!

--The Cook

3 comments:

  1. Yikes! Glad you, the family and the house are OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we are all well, thankfully! Pays to play it safe and sometimes it's easy to forget!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blogs lady! You always make me smile :) Glad you are all ok, ad chalk it up to a learning experience, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete